THE CHRONICLES OF ROBS' NORTH EAST EUROPEAN ADVENTURE

Where's da robin?

Friday, June 13, 2008

Institutionalized

“So how many times have you been in the institution?” While I recognize that this phrase wasn’t meant to be funny, I couldn’t help giggle, and fail miserably at explaining why, while my quasi-english speaking companions just sort of stared at me, and tried to explain to me how people usually study at MPI 4 or 5 times. I can’t help but to think of all the academics/students I know who spend a bazillion hours a day in a library and who could all benefit from it having a padded room somewhere. I realize the joke is still bad and I’ve probably already lost all but 1 or 2 readers by this point. So you should just ignore this paragraph and move on.

The point I’m really trying to make is that I’ve had a far more successful round of meeting people and making friends than on Monday, and in effect have started to become “institutionalize”. It all started last night with the GermanyCroatia match. During half time I actually met the people sitting around me… a Columbian, Peruvian, Cuban (but apparently we’re enemies) and Chilean… we’ve decided we’re the America’s faction. Throw in the Portuguese and Tunisian, we suddenly became the Spanish speaking contingent. But seeing as my Spanish isn’t all that much better than my german (though I think it amused them that I would sit and listen and suddenly say something in English as a response to what they were talking about) they ended up switching to English for most of the night. After some failed attempts at names I’ve decided to only call them by country. (A Croatian got thrown into the mix later on in the night as well). But after the game we had a Stammtish (I think it translates loosely to a gathering which was held at a bar/restaurant ) and that’s where we really got to know each other.

It is assumed that as an American I have no interest in soccer, so when they figured out not only that I had an interest, but actually enjoy the game it sort of became our basis for bonding. One of the most common questions I got was, “Do you understand the rules?”… “More or less everything except the off-sides rule.”… “Well nobody understands that.” There then proceeded to be a debate as to whether they could describe the rule in their native language let alone English. Another end result is that I’ve been banned from cheering for any team, especially Portugal because whoever I cheer for tends to loose… I have an 0-4 record right now (the losses coming to Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria… yes actually watched all those games).

More or less everyone is working at their respective universities as assistant professors and researching here for their doctoral thesis. I may have mentioned that before, but then I went and talked to people, and that really is what most people are doing. So I’m essentially hanging out with a bunch of good looking smart slightly older latin academic men… heehee… They like to try and talk American politics with me, I try to avoid their questions by talking about sports… it’s a good balance.

All in all it was a pretty good night, and it looks like I’ve made some decent friends. Other fruits of the evening include: people to ride the train with cause they live in my area, people who might travel w/ me, and an potential MPI volleyball team.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Sounds like you're meeting people, always good. Also, MPI volleyball team?